Google

Monday, October 10, 2005

Dhaka #1

This isn’t my first attempt to blog from Dhaka. The last time I tried, I not only lost the internet connection, but also lost the blog typed on MSWord. So let’s see if I can make this one work. It’s been over a week since I arrived, and I haven’t yet met with the organization I’m supposed to work with for my thesis. That’s just how things in Bangladesh work, I’m told. I’ve called them every single day save the weekend, but the two people I’m supposed to meet don’t seem to have any time. It’s all very bureaucratic (and this isn’t even a govt org!) and I’m getting kind of sick of it. Apparently I have to do this for a while and keep bugging them before I get any sort of attention. Which really sucks. Dhaka’s good to be back to, but the constant gridlock on the roads and the tripled time in getting anywhere can get frustrating. So I don’t go out a lot. Have seen some friends since I came back, which was nice. One of them I haven’t seen in like 6 years or something. Was good catching up with her. Other than that, I’ve been shopping quite a bit as I have no clothes here, so need to get some made. Also bought my Eid outfit already…hehe…actually bought it on first Ramadan! Ramadan’s been good…not too difficult as it’s a relatively short day. Pressure’s on for the whole ‘arranged marriage’ deal. Parents keep asking me what my plans are, but they’re not the only ones…the entire extended family’s ‘concerned’ as well as any and every friend of my parents who are remotely close. Only discussions so far, and some names dropped, but that’s about it, which isn’t so bad. And of course, I haven’t yet heard the end of how dark and fat I’ve become. Been doing some beautification, too. A facial, some hair treatment, etc. It’s so unbelievably cheap here, I’d do it every month, if not more. Also been happily catching up a bit on Indian movies :)

The time you see below is Dhaka time I'm writing, no longer EST. You wonder when I work? Well I don’t…not yet anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home